I grew up eating these sweet and crispy Russian buttermilk pancakes, or as we called them, Oladi. My mom would always fry up a big batch any time we were having a special breakfast. When we got older, she would make these for weekend breakfasts because the delicious smell would be the only thing that could get teenagers out of bed before noon.
These Russian buttermilk pancakes are crispy on the outside but fluffy and chewy on the inside. They are absolutely delicious dipped in sour cream and your favorite homemade jam (the authentic way to eat oladi).
Ingredients For Russian Buttermilk Pancakes:
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
Makes enough for 2-4 people. Double recipe for a larger group.
Directions For Russian Buttermilk Pancakes:
In a large measuring cup, whisk 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 cup of buttermilk.
In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla.
Add in the baking soda/buttermilk mixture.
Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour. You should have a really thick batter.
Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat with a generous amount of canola or coconut oil. Make sure that there is enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan! (This is what makes the pancakes nice and crispy so don’t skimp!)
Drop in batter with a large spoon to make small ovals about 2″ long.
Cook on one side until it starts to turn golden brown on the bottom and batter is bubbling.
Turn and cook until browned on the other side.
Set on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Cook in batches so the pan is not overcrowded. (Add more oil to the skillet between batches so the bottom is always covered in oil.)
Serve hot with sour cream and jam. (I love Smith Brothers & Tillamook sour cream best!)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- In a large measuring cup, whisk 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 cup of Smith Brothers buttermilk
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the baking soda/buttermilk mixture.
- Mix in 1 1/2-2 cups of flour. You should have a really thick batter.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat with a generous amount of canola or coconut oil.
- Drop in batter with a large spoon to make small ovals about 2" long.
- Cook on one side until it starts to turn golden brown on the bottom and batter is bubbling.
- Turn and cook until browned on the other side.
- Set on a paper towel to drain excess oil. (Add more oil to the skillet between batches if needed)
- Serve hot with fresh sour cream and jam.
8 thoughts on “Sweet & Crispy Russian Buttermilk Pancakes (Oladi)”
I just entered and placed my first order! I’m excited!
Also placed my order!
Been getting Smith Brothers delivered for 12 years and i also remember getting it delivered as a little girl! Thank you for the awesome give away!
Heather- milk delivery day is my son’s favorite! Love having them delivery farm fresh goodies to our doorstep every week. Have you shared our giveaway on Facebook to be eligible for the giveaway? Make sure to tag us if you do so we can track it!
Smith Brothers has been in our family for 3 years. We look forward to delivery day each week. 🙂
Entered the giveaway
Congrats to our winner Irina!